shows the back of the live room wall. Bryant is attaching
5/8 drywall to resilliant channel, being carefull to attach
screws to the channel only and not the studs. You can see
where the main trunks of the ductwork have been covered with
plywood and soundboard.
photo shows the framing of the control room wall. These walls
will go up and then be taken down to finish the back side
with soundboard,resilliant channel,and 5/8 drywall. Then hoisted
back into place. Caulking all along the way.
Bryant is constructing a custom box to hold the wall plate(live
room side). Have to get all the cables thru the live room
wall before we throw up the control room walls.
shot of the wall plate
shot of wall plate.
plate after being attached to the live room wall. We left
about a foot of extra wire in case I need to get in there
for any repairs to my soldering.
is a shot of one of the doors. I had trouble coming up with
a plan for studio doors. What I did was order some pre-hung
solid core interior doors from the Home depot. These run $89.00.
I then ordered a roll of that sound barrier mat. It's that
black vinyl looking stuff you can find at most acoustical
supply places online, and attach it to one side of the door.
It add's an stc of 27. Then as this photo shows, I bought
some really good door seals. They seal the doors with neoprene
on all sides. It also includes a seal for the door bottom
that presses a large piece of neoprene into the threshhold
as you close the door. These run $180 a piece. Total door
cost-$320 a piece, And just as effective as a custom acoustic
door but at a fraction of the price.
have now gotten to the ceiling. You can see the back side
of the control room wall with the brown sound board. The back
side of this wall consists of soundboard, resillient channel
and 5/8 drywall. The large piece of lumber with the blue stripe
is a micro lam that will support the ceiling, keeping it from
touching the rest of the house. Lots and lots of caulking
between all of these steps.
walls. This is how we did it. I ordered a large piece of neoprene
and cut sections the width of the base plate and placed them
under the base plate every couple of feet. We then drilled
a hole thru the stud and then using a masonary bit drilled
into the concrete floor. Then we dropped an anchor bolt into
the hole. We then put a piece of neoprene tubing into the
hole and around the bolt. This keeps vibrations from transfering
from the bolt to the stud. Then we added a neoprene washer
and then a metal washer and nut, and cranked them down.
of neoprene rubber from binkelman rubber co. $120.00 And it
will be enough to do the whole studio. Compare that to those
should be complete in a matter of weeks so I'll have another