John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:31 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: vocal booth in a castle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:11 am 

Hi,
I have been working on restoring my studio for nearly a year now. It's an old castle, built about 150 years ago. I am working during the week and spending all the free time and cash on this baby, so a familiar scenario!

The building is really unique with walls a meter thick and four arch's on one side. The stonework is nearly all granite and retaining the integrity of the building is my number one priority. The drawing below is of the building as it now is.
The ceiling is a quadrant shape rising from 2m on the left to over 4m high on the right, this is the "section through building" drawing below.
In the small end room labeled "speaker cabinet", the walls currently have pockets (18x18x35deep) built into them, it looks like an old wine cellar/store.
The live room has three beautiful arch's. I would really like to make 2 of these glass windows, double paned laminated with one slanting.. and the other one a door.
The area on the left outside the arch's/doors was originally cobbled. About 50% of the cobble still exists and I hope to restore it all into a small courtyard feature.
I have removed the floors, mainly old concrete ond dirt, and have a hardcore stone base now set in.I am now ready to pour concrete floors but have hit some problems in the layout.
What I am going to use the studio for would be some use.. It has to cater for three main functions
1) Live act's 2) voice over for TV 3) writing my own music.
My main problem (i think) is where to put the vocal booth, and whether it should be fixed or portable. The voice over service requires it to be reasonably close to the control room for communication with both myself and the clients. While not breaking the line of sight with band members farther back in the live room.
I like the control room at its current size. There is a hole in the wall on the r.h.s. which I plan on
Making into a silent computer cabinet.
All wiring is being pre set into the floors, with a mlticore running back to the control room.

All input is greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Joe

All measurements are in cm, and the drawing is to scale.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 9:53 am 

wow....No help here, but some jealousy. A Freaking CASTLE????

That's awesome man

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:50 am 

Cheers man,
I'll try and stick up a photo or two tomorrow.
Joe

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:01 am 
Site Admin

Still waiting for the photo Joe - I'd put the vox booth difrectly in front of the control room with a window allowing vision through to the main studio - like Bruce's Blue Bear studio :)

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject: photos
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 12:19 am 

Sorry about the delay in possting the pic's but the work thing was a little crazy this week.... Thanks for the idea John, Blue Bears is a great studio.
The Photo order is, control room, control room door and live room.

I have 2 Questions:
If i put the booth in front of the control room and fully blocked off the first arch with an external wall, wolud having the remaining arched recess as part of the booth make acoustics difficiult?
Should the partiton go from floor to ceiling or do i need to ceate a level ceiling?

Kindest regards,
Joe[/img]

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 7:44 am 
Site Admin

ah - so there is no window between the control room and the live room - just 3 feet of stone! are you going to use TV for visual.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:51 pm 

The plan is to put a the double window into the wall. I am going to cut a "channel" out of the wall and fit a lintel. One half will be done at a time so as not to compromise the strength of the wall. When this is completed the window oap will be made. Sounds easy :D
Joe

Report this post

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:51 am 

Hey folks,
Since my first posting I have been just renovating the building. I am currently pointing up all the stone work and am about half way there.. The two photos are

1. from the control room into the live room and
2. the outside of the building from the kitchen end of the live room

I am havin a problem working out how to design the control room with the arched door on the left hand side of photo 1. One thought is to move the vocal booth into the control room making the Live room bigger. A big plus.
The only problem is that if the arch door is incorporated into the vocal booth i would need to put a new door in for access to the control room.
Is this the best option or can the arch be intigrated into the control room?

Cheers, joe

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:39 am 
Site Admin

Joe - couldn't you have the access to the control room via the vocal booth with a glass door between the speakers giving entrance and view through booth to the studio??

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:04 am 

It is a cool option and would really save alot of work. I am hoping to get a decent size analog console (48-60 channels)? And had thought this would make this option difficult?

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:19 pm 
Site Admin

A 40 - 60 input console is damn long - here's a 3m (10') console to scale along with an alternative layout. Remember your room is only 3.36m wide leaving only .36m free to get around the console.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:52 am 

Brilliant John. I hand turning the desk in my head but thought it impossible because of speaker placement. Thanks.

I marked it out on the studio floor today and it feels good
:lol:

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Joe - because you don't have room for trapping behind you use the ceiling space like this.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:53 pm 

hi kie,

first: jesus maria and joseph! a studio in an old irish castle. great! keep going the good work! i imagine there's lot to do in such a place. but finally, you'll have a quit uniqe studio for shure.

cheers
roman

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:02 am 

The trapping info is great John. it has sorted out not only the bass management issues but also my electrical wiring for the room!!

Would building some low level outboard rack spaces into the rear wall, inhibit the trapping?

Joe

Report this post