John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:05 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:12 am 

Roman, thanks for the support. Loads of work allright, but it's starting to take shape now. the renovation was slow and everything took much longer than expected. I cant wait to hook up the first instruments though...
:lol:

Joe

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:42 am 
Site Admin

kie wrote:
The trapping info is great John. it has sorted out not only the bass management issues but also my electrical wiring for the room!!

Would building some low level outboard rack spaces into the rear wall, inhibit the trapping?

Joe

no - that should be fine.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:18 am 

Hi John,

Would you be able to give me some dimensions on the plan of the control room, for the speaker wall? Particulary the angle between the wall with the monitors and the side wall to the vocal booth. Also the distance to keep from the rear wall. My drawings just are'nt looking like yours!!

Since my last post i have finished pointing the building and have made the window from the control room to the live room into a door void. I plan to put sliding doors here to allow full accces through the whole space. I'll post a photo tomorrow.

Cheer Folks

Joe

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:06 am 
Site Admin

here you go Joe

cheers
john

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:35 am 

Thats cool stuff John, again respect.

Attached are 2 photos one of the arch in the c/r, the door will be fitted flush with the outside, apparently on sep 18th, I've allready had 4 canceled dates!! With excuses about broken machines, sick employees and just too busy. Builders eh... :D

The other is from the end of the live room looking back into the c/r. This is with finished pointing. To anyone else who may have to do this, it's slow, 8 weeks of 6/7 full days each week for my building, but the results are really worth it. With sandblasting the building first a new feeling of life has been injected into the studio. Sanblasting is another tedious job but make sure to seek the proper advice on the type of shot (grit u put in the blaster) for your surface. Normal silica sand is carciogenic and illegal/highly regulated in most places. Any yes it get's everywhere!!

I bought a cheap 20 gallon blaster (200 euro), readily avaliable on the net, and replaced the hose and end nozzle with one's from a speciliast supplier (100euro). This saved me about 800 euro on buying the cheapest professional blaster and about 2000 euro if i had hired someone to do the work.

Hope this can b of some help....

Joe

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:23 am 
Site Admin

Yeah - I'm aware of sandblasting Joe - very slow and tedious but it does produce a great result. :)
Looks good.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:09 am 

Hey John,

When you get a chance could you clarify a few things? I can see by the amount of new posts you have alot on your plate..

1. The false ceiling.. should i

a) make the entire ceiling absorbent like Lapptops

b) just create a cloud over the mix area (console width) kinda like Lens Sonar studio, live room

c) Create a cloud that follows the entire outline of the control rooms walls just leaving the outer edges plastered

2 In the rear wall I have a small window 600x300mm (its in my original drawing), can i keep this for ventilation with out messing up the acoustics?

3 a) My rear wall. I should just construct it as a normal rear wall absorber, just slanted?

b)If so should make the depth of 703 thicker, say 200mm, as the distance from wall increases.

4)The sliding door into the vocal booth. I have seen 3 different options on the site but havn't found why which one would best suit me

a) the standard double door's with 12 degree deviation

b) parrallel doors like in Scotts and Funkys studios or

c) single door as in btween the two booths in Left bank which I must say
John is a cool stdio design

Cheers,

Joe

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:56 am 
Site Admin

kie wrote:

1. The false ceiling.. should i

a) make the entire ceiling absorbent like Lapptops

b) just create a cloud over the mix area (console width) kinda like Lens Sonar studio, live room

c) Create a cloud that follows the entire outline of the control rooms walls just leaving the outer edges plastered

I'd go with version (a)

Quote:

2 In the rear wall I have a small window 600x300mm (its in my original drawing), can i keep this for ventilation with out messing up the acoustics?

yeah - have some curtains over it maybe.

Quote:

3 a) My rear wall. I should just construct it as a normal rear wall absorber, just slanted?

b)If so should make the depth of 703 thicker, say 200mm, as the distance from wall increases.

Either will work I'd probably go with version (a)

Quote:
4)The sliding door into the vocal booth. I have seen 3 different options on the site but havn't found why which one would best suit me

a) the standard double door's with 12 degree deviation

b) parrallel doors like in Scotts and Funkys studios or

c) single door as in btween the two booths in Left bank which I must say
John is a cool stdio design

Thanks mate - just go with the parallel doors like Funky. A single slider will only give you 32db - it really depends on what you want it for - for just vocals etc a single is adequate but if you want to turn up loud guitar amps it wouldn't be sufficient.

[/quote]

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:00 am 

Thanks for the speedy response john :lol: It has really heelped when searching/ reading the site today.

I have done a little sketch of the vocal booth, and included a photo of the back wall with my initended computer/machine cabinet. I hope to put a second machine area in the .8m gap behind the slat wall at the other end of the control room.

I was planning place more 703 panels following the contour of the ceiling, again like lapptops 6x2 rail design. So a 2" gap between the 703 and ceiling.

I have 2 questions..

1) Is this ceiling design ok?

2) On the 4.2m wall how high should i bring the broadband absorbers

Thanks Joe

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:04 pm 

Hi John,
I have all the materials 703 etc to and the carpenter is going to start any day now, apparently!!

I have decided to put a floating floor in thr CR/VO space for audio and electrical rn (seperate to each other).

My intended construction of the floatin floor is 25mmx50mm on the flat, at 300 centres. With 12mm ply ontop of this. 18mm solid oak flooring is the finish in both rooms running through the door space like in Left bank.

My Question is this, can i float the whole area and add my stud walls that seperate the cr/vo on top or do 1 need to seperate the floors along the between the 2 studs?

Cheers,
Joe

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:00 am 
Site Admin

Joe - I'd build the walls first onto the floor and treat each floor separately.

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:19 am 

Thanks John,

So then do you just just pass the cables through the walls at the base and make sure there is an air tight seal where the ply meets the plasterboard?

Cheers
Joe

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:40 am 
Site Admin

yes :D

cheers
john

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:04 am 

Brilliant John,

I have to say with out this forum, your endless time and patience my studio would have never be as far as it is today. The ability for anyone here to improve the conditions they have for recording is cool. An audio Crusade!!

Rock on John

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:57 am 

Hi guys,
So the carpenters finall start on wed morning. Cant wait to see the c/r coming together.

I have a few details I need a bit of clarity on :lol:

1) The false ceiling over the mix position. How wide should the gap between front of the speaker walls and the start of the false ceiling panel be?

2) The broadband absorbers in the vocal booth (diagram in the post about halfway up this page). How deep should I make these panels 6" or 9" or less?

The electrics are half in and should be done in the next 2 weeks aswell. Progress at last, I'm keepin a good photo diary....

Cheers,
Joe

Report this post