John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:39 pm 

I'm not doing a flush/soffit style. That'd be nice, but not now. I have small speakers I really like: NHTPro M-00 with the subwoofer S-00. I'm about to move into my new cottage control room. It's small. 146sf. 10'6" wide and 14' in length. I understand the equidistance from the side walls. But what rules should I apply for the distance from the wall in back of them?

Also subwoofer placement. I had previously operated under the conception that sub location wasn't really important. Those bass waves take so long to develop and low frequencies aren't directional. Something like that. But if I'm applying the mirror speaker reflection DIY rule, do I also apply it to the sub? I was planning on placing the sub closer to the back wall than the pair and equidistant between them.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:33 am 

Soundman2020 wrote:
Your room is small, so the ONLY option you have is to place your speakers tight up against the front wall, with only a 4" gap between the speaker and the wall. That gap is for the 4" thick panel of OC-703 that you will need there, to help deal with the SBIR issue, as well as other problems.

Thank you. Let get this straight. The 4" bass traps should go directly behind the speakers. How about between them as well? And forgive me, what does SBIR mean? I have an abundance of 703 and Knauf, both 2". I'm planning on building some 2 and mostly 4" panels and tri-corner traps.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:35 pm 

Thank you. My understanding is I should put a gap between the panel and the wall. That it should sit away from the wall a little. Not touch. For the behind the speaker thing, should I do the same, or are you suggesting I just kind of extend the wall with a couple of absorbers by place it right up against the wall?

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2019 11:54 pm 

[SPAMMER BANNED AND BLOCKED]

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 2:37 am 

REW is free and has all the tools needed to optimise locations of your speakers, sub, and listening position.
I have often measured no benefit at all from placing traps behind speakers. Or anywhere on the front wall.
https://realtraps.com/art_front-wall.htm
A very thick full surface FW treatment can be great. But thin patches with relatively small area......
DD

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 11:06 pm 

They are easily fooled! Yup that was spectacular, but early days for me. I 'idealised' or simplified the test in a mistaken attempt to get a clear result.
I removed the floor reflections by placing the speaker and mic on the carpet. Also the single speaker was room centre minimising the odd numbered width modes.
When speakers are in real positions things can get more complicated, and over time I have concluded benefit is quite unlikely.
I checked again recently. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=21837

My current conclusion is that it is necessary to test ALL viable speaker and listener locations, which interact. This includes speaker height, noting that speakers can be inverted to raise the woofer.
Pink Noise and RTA are invaluable for ruling out vast swathes of options quickly.

DD

Report this post