John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Wed Nov 20, 2019 8:34 pm

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Nebie here
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:21 am 

I want to say Hello from Parker, Colorado. I will be using this fourm to gain some traction on my basement studio ideas. I read therough the introduction notes of what I need before I post.

Paul
Parker, CO

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Nebie here
PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:21 am 

How do I upload a file of google sketch to this site? Perhaps I can share a link.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:16 pm 

Nothing special, but most of us here are more, how should I say, interested in what you project is rather than trying to remember the basics of file up load.\

So once you manage that we can hopefully help you.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:38 pm 

Paul, go to the middle of the reply page, and look for where it says filename then go to you right where it says browse. Click on Browse and find the file on your computer, click on it, then click on the "Add the file" button.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:52 pm 

Here is a link to my Google Sketchup of my basement. It was my first time taking a stab at it.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/ ... 33bc5bb51c

I have some questions about noise reduction. First off I am thinking about replacing all my 6" and 5" diameter heating ductwork with the flexduct. I want to reduce noise going upstairs. Second thing I need to do is figure out what insulation to use between the floor joist to isolate sound going upstairs.

Let me know if digital pics would be good to share.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:57 pm 

Hi Paul. Please check the forum rules for posting: you seem to be missing something! :)

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 8:57 am 

My first goal is to isolate the sound from my basement to the main floor and second level as much as affordably possible.
My second goal is to make a nice finished jamming/recording room for my drums and guest musicians.
My third goal is to make it somewhat a multi-media/room. No pool table, bar, bedroom. Perhaps a bathroom. Definately a flatscreen or projector too.
My fourth goal is to eliminate some of the sound leaving the house.

The floor plan is about 32' x 14' on a concrete floor. This will be in the walkout basement of my residential home. I have one 6" wide sliding glass door on the walkout side a concrete wall on the opposide side. The other two 14" long walls, are half concrete the other half is framed with insulation. If you can picture a walkout, it the concrete is staggered from the walkout side back to the concrete side. I have two exterior windows about 3x4. There is no crawlspace.

At this time I have there perimter framing around all concrete walls. The stock framing on the walkout side hasn't been touched since the house was built.

I have two heater registers and duct work in the ceiling. The ceiling hight varies from 8 to 9 feet in certain areas.

I have about 2000 for an infrastructure budget. Meaning framing, electrical, HVAC, drywall. This is for materials only.
I have an existing subpanel down there with a 50 amp breaker with 3 15 amp arc fault breakers too.
I am working with my city building inspectors, I have a permit pulled
I will continue to do all the framing and HVAC, I will get a hand to help with the high voltage electrical.

I hope this is a good start for everyone to digest. As far as pictres go, I will upload them on my next reply.

Can someone tell me if the Google Sketchup was viewable?

I play my drums very loud. Both houses next to me can hear me well. The house right behind me, even better.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:05 pm 

Paul, Please read the forum rules for posting (click here). You STILL seem to be missing something! :)

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:27 pm 

This isn't working out.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:32 pm 

Yes, that's right: It isn't working out because you aren't following the forum rules for posting! That's not very hard to do: I have mentioned it twice already, and I even given you the link. All you need to do to get answers is to click on that link, read those rules, and do what they say. Especially the part in large blue letters.

This is easy to understand: If you want to use the forum, just abide by the rules.

But seeing that I'm in a good mood, I'll answer some of your questions anyway:

Quote:
I have some questions about noise reduction.
OK. So please provide the information that we need to help you, such as how loud you are, how quite you need to be, how much isolation you are getting from the existing structure, and how that existing structure is built. With no information to go on, nobody can answer your questions! It's like you came in here and said "I really need to know how long the string should be." What string? For what purpose? Unless you explain your situation, there's no way we can guess. For example, will replacing your HVAC ducts with flex help? The only possible answer at present is: Yes, no, maybe. You didn't give us ANY information to go on for that question, so how are we supposed to know what the problem is that you are trying to solve!!!! Do you have a problem with air noise in the ducts? Mechanical noise from the HVAC system? Noise flanking through the ducts themselves? Airborne noise following the ducts? Fan noise? There's no possible way that we can know what the issue is unless you EXPLAIN it! If it is noise passing through the ducts, airborne, then the answer is silencers, not flex duct. If the problem is mechanical HVAC noise then the solution is decoupling and vibration mounts, not flex duct. If the problem is air noise, the solution is duct liner and over-size ducts. Etc. Basically you have come up with a solution, but you aren't telling us what the problem is!

Quote:
I want to reduce noise going upstairs.
How much noise? What type of noise? How much reduction? Why?

Let me give you some perspective: If you want to play a little light jazz down there, and that is bothering someone upstairs, that's an easy problem to solve. But if you are playing a full-on ultra-mega-death rock band with acoustic drums, heavy bass, major keyboards, and howling stacked cabinets for multiple electric guitars, and it is bothering the neighbors three blocks away, that's an entirely different matter, requiring major design and major money to fix. But once again, if you don't TELL us what the problem is, then how are we supposed to know? You wonder why you get no answers, but that's obvious: You provided no information to go on! Nobody can answer the question, since nobody knows what it is!

Quote:
Second thing I need to do is figure out what insulation to use between the floor joist to isolate sound going upstairs.
None at all. Insulation does not isolate. That's a myth. You could staple 6 inches of the very best acoustic foam to the underside of the floor above, and it would have no effect at all on stopping sound from getting up. (But it would make the basement sound a lot better! :) ) Acoustic foam, fiberglass insulation, and mineral wool do not stop sound by themselves. They can be used as part of a SYSTEM to stop sound, yes, but by themselves they won't help. Think of it like this; sound is like water, and insulation is like a sponge. You can use a sponge to mop up water that spilled some place you didn't want it, and that works great. But you cannot stop the water flowing out of your tap by putting the sponge across the end: it just goes straight through. Same with sound: insulation and acoustic foam are great at "mopping up spilled sound" (commonly known as "acoustic treatment", but are useless at stopping it (commonly know as "isolation" or "soundproofing"). To stop sound you need one thing only: Mass. Lots of mass.

Quote:
Can someone tell me if the Google Sketchup was viewable?
Yes, it downloads fine, and is viewable. But based on that file, you seem to have a major problem that you didn't mention in the text: You only have 7' 3/16" of ceiling height! :shock: There just isn't enough room to isolate that.

Quote:
Let me know if digital pics would be good to share.
Pictures would be good, yes. And so would a detailed text description of what you have, what you are trying to do, why you are trying to do it, and more details of the budget you had in mind for doing it. Yes, you mentioned a number, but it isn't realistic. To get an idea of how much this is REALLY going to cost you, call a few local building contractors and ask for their flat rate per square foot for converting an unfinished basement into a luxury guest bedroom with on-suite bathroom. That will give you a realistic idea of the cost.

But first, please check that link I gave you one more time, and follow the rules. :)

- Stuart -

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 3:47 pm 

Hello everyone, I am MikeMoon and I am new here in this forum, I just got this forum and I think this is the best platform for getting and sharing new ideas here, so I must appreciated to all the people who participate in all the discussion.

Report this post