John Sayers' Design Forum

John Sayers' Recording Studio Design Forum

A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Thu Aug 06, 2020 4:36 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: control room problem
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:35 am 

I have a place to set up a studio but there's a slight problem... The control room dimensions.

The room is 3mx3m and the ceiling goes from 1,6m to 2,1m so there's very little "headroom".
All the surfaces are about 30cm(1') thick concrete so isolation shouldn't be a problem. There's some hard foam-type insulation on the ceiling about 5cm thick which looks like thermal insulation.

I tried to measure the room acoustics but it was such a chaos that I can't really make any definitive plans how to start treating the room.
I did notice a huge bump at around 50Hz and 63Hz and then some dips at 80Hz and 160Hz. There was also something weird going on at higher frequencies but first I need to get the lows under control.

I know these are the worst dimensions for a control room but building some bass traps would change the dimensions anyways.

So, can anyone give me any advice how to start treating the room to get the lows under control? Or maybe suggest a plan for the room.

I've been reading around here for years but right now I'm complitely lost. Should I line all the walls with rockwool and build timber frames to form new walls?
I was hoping to keep the space as big as posiible since it's already so small.

Thanks in advance,
Tomi

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 4:45 am 

Aloha,

Could you post a few pics of your room?

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:46 am 

Hi,

I don't have any pictures at the moment but I can get some, though there's really nothing to see. Just an empty room with concrete walls, floor and ceiling.
I have made a sketchup of the room if that helps?

T

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:32 am 

Aloha,

Yes it does. :wink:

Aloha 8)

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:45 am 

Hi y'all!

I've been working on the studio for a few days now and I'm actually getting something done!

I decided to go with john's plan(sketchup picture below) as it seemed most suitable.

I will post pictures as I go along and some questions also because I want to get everything done right the first time.

I posted some specs before but here's a little background:

The place is at my brothers "estate" and is a part of a approx.600m2 converted ex-barn.
My brother has his business on the second floor and the ground floor is storage/garage/office/etc...
There is a concrete ramp leading to the second floor of the building and under this ramp there are two rooms separated by a 25cm thick concrete wall.
The first room on entry is 3m x 3,2m height: 1,8m-2,2m and will be an iso booth.
The second room is about 0,5m(two steps) lower and measures 3m x 3m height: 1,6m-2,1m and this is the control room.
I want the control room done first because I have some ongoing projects that need to be mixed.

Here's the whole deal:

-The ramp had some cracks in it that allowed water to enter the "control room" space through the ceiling. I fixed the cracks and the ramp is now sealed(had some heavy rain yesterday so I can confirm that the seal is good).
-I've also sealed the small 55cmx80cm window in the control room and treated the heavy metal door for isolation between the CR and booth.
The CR side of the door will eventually be covered with 50mm rock wool.
-The floors are 2 layers of 10mm chipboard on top of 1x4 and glass wool.
The floor finish will be carpet at the front of the room and laminate at the rear.
-I've made the cavities for monitor soffits in the corners and started framing the slot resonators on the side walls.
The monitor cavities will have acoustic hangers on the bottom part.
-The front wall will be part slats, part rock wool with cloth finish.
-The rear of the room will be all rock wool with cloth finish.
-The ceiling will only have a cloth finish because of the height issue.

I already had some light 50mm glass wool so i'm going to treat all the concrete walls with that first. And since my sister works at a company that makes rock wool etc. I'll get some 50mm rock wool that is intended for industrial sound dampening and use that for all the resonators and other acoustic treatment.

Pheeewwww.... That's a long story...

So now before I continue the build I want to make sure few things: When flush mounting the monitors the monitor cavities need to be complitely sealed and stuffed with loose insulation?
And same with Helmholz resonators?

If anything comes to your mind don't hesitate to comment or ask.

Thanks,
-Tomi-

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Report this post

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:56 am 

I'll start a new thread at studio constuction once all your comments and questions have been dealed with.

And here is John's design I based my studio on.

Report this post