A World of Experience
Click Here for Information on John's Services
It is currently Sat May 07, 2022 12:51 am

All times are UTC + 10 hours

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:15 pm 

John Shryock wrote:
my thoughts on that, from my limited knowledge:

having the plastic doesn't affect the functionality of the bass trap, at least for the actual bass frequencies. the 1 or 2 millimeters of plastic sheet has almost no effect on low frequency content. imagine standing behind a plastic painter's dropcloth like the ones i used - it offers almost no sound barrier whatsoever [ SPAM LINK REMOVED- SPAMMER BANNED AND BLOCKED FOREVER ] however, the plastic might function similarly to RFK fiberglass, giving a slight reflection in high frequencies.

having the plastic does keep the glass fibers in better than not having it, although that may not be entirely necessary either.

now, i may be entirely incorrect - in this case, would someone please put me on the right track?

thanks,

John

But you can also use cells if it does not work because it is a very effective sound insulation.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:09 am 
Site Admin

philippap01 wrote:
But you can also use cells if it does not work because it is a very effective sound insulation.
Nope! But nice try!

Actually it was a TERRIBLE try. Stupid, dumb, low-life, scum spammers are spotted and deleted here, really fast. And congratulations on joining the list, in first place!

bye.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:30 pm 

dk01 wrote:
So, why not just cut squares and stack em and get even more surface area and trapping potential? Like in these photos its not like a square is gonna use up any space that is functional i.e. the triangle cut isnt saving space you might otherwise use, though it probably gives perceived feeling like not so much floorspace is being up by traps. But, if they perform so good, seems like it would be even easier to slice em once into squares and stack em and get more density etc.

Additionally, has anyone compared the triangled Superchunks vs. Square Superchunks (i.e. take a package of Rockwool bats 4' long and stack em two high in every corner)...?

David
David

This was a great question from years ago I never saw answered. David was inquiring about making square sofit type superchunks cutting BATs in half and stacking into corners as opposed to cutting triangles stacked into corners... or since its 2022 now, is the better superchunk fluffy pink stuff stacked into corner with a fabric frame across them?

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:01 pm 

you're still better off with the semi-rigid insulation if that is the configuration in the corner. another option is to build a face frame for the semi-rigid and backfill with the soft insulation, and partially cover the front with slats to support HF returns. i generally leave the top and bottom thirds just absorptive and some widely space slats in the middle. the only time i deviat from that is if i'm building resonators in the corners, then i tune those panels to broadband lower freuqnecies.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 8:13 am 

gullfo wrote:
you're still better off with the semi-rigid insulation if that is the configuration in the corner. another option is to build a face frame for the semi-rigid and backfill with the soft insulation, and partially cover the front with slats to support HF returns. i generally leave the top and bottom thirds just absorptive and some widely space slats in the middle. the only time i deviat from that is if i'm building resonators in the corners, then i tune those panels to broadband lower freuqnecies.

thanks Glenn,
I saw a design from a guy back in 2015 where he created superchunks for his 4 corners. his approach sounded similar. he made a triangular frame and placed two layers of 2" Owens Corning semi rigid panels vertically(4 inch total). the front panel was the OC705 FRK (foil layered to reflect high frequencies), the second board behind it was a standard semi rigid OC 703, he then cut the flimsy Safe and Sound into triangles and stacked behind the two layers of OC. the front was covered in fabric.

over the years I've seen his approach evolve into swapping out the denser safe and sound triangles for the pink fluffy stuff also cut into triangles. the thinking was, the fluffy behind the two panels was better for controlling the bass energy where as the rokwool S&S BAts were too dense..

any thoughts on that?

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:21 am 

ultimately depends on the room size, corner size, and volume levels. in general, small rooms, small corners, high volumes - use denser. large corners > 36" across the face or > 24" on edges -> soft would be ok behind the semi-rigid face.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:18 am 

gullfo wrote:
ultimately depends on the room size, corner size, and volume levels. in general, small rooms, small corners, high volumes - use denser. large corners > 36" across the face or > 24" on edges -> soft would be ok behind the semi-rigid face.

awe ok! so my room is 18'L x 14'W x 8'H.. I have the ability to go larger corners. if my room is considered small, but I have the space would larger corners be the better option? I understand there's so many variables with what will be going on in the room, tracking, mixing, etc. it appears a rooms pressure and volume seems set in its size? wondering if larger corners vs smaller corners and triangle filler option doesn't improve things? Maybe the small corners with more dense triangles might be what my room size dictates?
thanks

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:21 pm 

a couple of options include getting a few stacks of soft and semi-rigid, cut them open enough to expose the insulation. set a stack of soft in a corner and a stack of semi-rigid in another corner. test. see which gives the most absorption in that space.

or skip the testing and buy more of both. build the frames. i like to add braces and chicken wire every 2 1/2' to support the soft stuff from compacting too much. then face it with the semi-rigid. cover with flame re-ta-rdent cloth. then use the extra semi-rigid to build your first reflection and wall absorbers. clouds too.

Report this post